The Men’s Probus Club of Skegness founded 1974
14 th  September Jim Luck Gentleman’s Outfitting Jim   Luck   owns   a   group   of   shops   in   Louth   and   he   has   worked   in   the   trade   since 1984.   Beginning   at   a   well-known   family   store   in   Louth   he   was   happy   while learning   the   business   there.   Due   to   a   change   in   his   working   environment,   he looked   around   for   an   alternative   and   bought   a   small   leather   goods   business, also   in   Louth.   Over   the   years   he   has   expanded   his   businesses   to   include   other shops all involved with the clothing industry. As   an   insight   into   the   changes   in   the   manufacturing   of   clothing,   he   gave   a   brief history   of   the   industry   referring   to   the   use   of   skins   or   plants   in   the   Iron Age,   the cross-legged    tailor    on    his    work    bench,    the    home    industry    of    early    retail suppliers   and   eventually   the   factories   developed   in   late   Victorian   times   by families    such    as    Burtons.    These    are    now    mainly    replaced    by    off-shore suppliers   as   such   family   businesses   often   fail to change with the times. Looking    at    the    manufacturing    of    a    suit,    he explained   the   various   elements   to   the   putting   together   of   a   quality   garment.   He also   showed   the   group   how   different   types   of   shoe   are   put   together.   The   skill   of his trade was ably displayed in an informative talk. The President gave the vote of thanks.
28th September 2016 Stephen Gay   Railways in a Yorkshire Landscape It   was   good   to   welcome   Stephen   back   once   again   and   he fulfilled    members’    anticipation    for    a    grand    morning.    His knowledge   of   the   railway   system   in   this   area   never   fails   to amaze   and   his   pictures   do   much   the   same.   He   waits   for hours   with   his   faithful   Alsatian   dog,   Wrawby,   for   company   to get   the   perfect   shot,   which   includes   not   only   a   train   but   some wonderful landscapes. He   took   members   on   an   absorbing   trip,   a   journey   through Shipley,   alongside   the   Leeds   to   Liverpool   canal,   Keighley, Skipton,    Gargrave,    Hellifield    (the    gateway    to    the    Dales), Ingleton,   Hawes,   Settle,   and   Ribblehead,   up   to   Dent   station. Dent   is   the   highest   mainline   station   in   England   at   1150   feet above   sea   level.   All   too   quickly   part   1   of   this   talk   was   over leaving members looking forward to part 2 next year. Tony Hogg gave the vote of thanks
12 th  October June Spouncer  Hearing Dogs for Deaf People June   is   a   volunteer   helping   to   raise   funds   for   the Hearing   Dogs   for   Deaf   People.   A   charity   which trains   dogs   to   alert    deaf   people,   both   adults   and children,   to   a   variety   of   sounds   at   home   and   in public.   Each    hearing   dog   also   helps   to   bring   a visibility   to   their   recipient’s   deafness   thanks   to the    burgundy    jackets    they    wear    when    out    in public. Hearing     dogs     also     create     a     new     level     of confidence,    companionship    and    independence for   a   deaf   person,   who   may   have   previously   felt too   isolated   and   vulnerable   to   leave   their   home. June    said    there    is    an    increased    demand    for hearing   dogs   from   deaf   people   and   with   no   government   support   or   funding   they   continually   need   to   be raising   money   to   enable   the   Charity   to   continue,   and   increase   the   number   of   hearing   dogs   that   can   be trained each year, the cost can be as high as £25K. The   Charity   was   co-founded   by   Lady   Beatrice   Wright   &   Dr    Bruce   Foyle (father   of    Ben   Foyle)   also   has   its   own   breeding   scheme   and   since   its inception   in   1979,   Hearing   Dogs   for   Deaf   People   have   placed   more   than 2014   hearing   dogs   around   the   UK.   There   are   currently   more   than   20 hearing dog partnerships in Lincolnshire. June   was   accompanied   by   Margaret   Turvey   and   her   little   star,   Rupert, who has made a profound difference to her life. John Boreham gave the vote of thanks. 
26th October Helen Tomlinson Barnardo`s and the History of the Charity Helen    Tomlinson    is    the    Lincolnshire    Leaving    Care    Services coordinator   for   the   Barnardo`s   charity.   The   charity   was   founded in   1866   by   Thomas   Barnardo,   who   opened   a   school   in   the   East End   of   London   to   care   for   and   educate   children   of   the   area   left orphaned   and   destitute.   In   1870   he   founded   a   boys'   orphanage, later   opening   a   girls'   home.   By   the   time   of   his   death   in   1905, Barnardo's    institutions    cared    for    over    8,500    children    in    96 locations   and   60,000   children   had   been   rescued   and   trained   for a   better   life.      His   work   was   carried   on   by   his   many   supporters under the name Dr Bardardo`s Homes. Following   social   changes   in   the   mid-20th   century,   the   charity changed   its   focus   from   the   direct   care   of   children   to   fostering and    adoption,    renaming    itself    Dr    Barnardo`s.     Following    the closure   of   its   last   traditional   orphanage   in   1989,   it   took   the   still simpler   name   of   Barnardo`s.   Today   it   has   640   shops   and   16,000 volunteers raising money for the charity to help 68,000 young people including 400 in Lincolnshire.                                                                                    John Boreham gave the vote of thanks
7th November John Smith The Land Rover John   has   been   involved   with   the   motor   trade   most   of   his   working life   and   is   currently   working   for   Duckworth’s   at   Kirton.   The   Land Rover    is    an    iconic    car    brand    specializing    in    four    wheel    drive vehicles   that   are   sold   worldwide   to   a   wide   variety   of   customers. Owned   by   British   car   manufacturer   Jaguar   Land   Rover   since   2008 it is now owned by India’s Tata Motors. The   Land   Rover   name   was   originally   used   by   the   Rover   Company in   1948   when   it   developed   its   four   wheeled   drive   models.   The design   for   the   original   Land   Rover   was   done   by   Maurice   Wilks   on his   farm   in   Anglesey   working   alongside   his   brother   Spencer   who was the Managing Director of Rover. Land   Rover   are   currently   assembled   at   Halewood   and   its   Solihull plants,   with   research   and   development   taking   place   at   Gaydon   and Whitley    with    another    at    Coventry    creating    the    next    range    of vehicles   due   out   next   year.   Land   Rover   will   also   rebuild   old   classic Land Rovers for customers the cost of this can exceed £100k.. To   keep   pace   with   the   completion   Duckworth’s   are   soon   to   open   a   new   state   of   the   art   showroom   costing £7.5million and have invited Probus to visit when completed. John Boreham gave the vote of thanks.
Remembrance Day November 13th The   President   and   members   attended   various   church   services   and   acts   of   Remembrance   and later came together for lunch at Poppies restaurant. The   President   joined   Skegness   people   at   the   local   War   Memorial   to   lay   a   wreath   on   behalf   of   the club.
The War Memorial at St Matthew’s Church
The parade approaches
John Boreham lays the wreath
23rd November Sandy Hamilton The Morris Minor Sandy   Hamilton   is   the   proud   owner   of   many   Morris   Minors and a member of their Classic Vehicle Club. The   beginnings   of   the   Morris   Minor   can   be   traced   back   to 1942,      with      the      first      prototype      appearing      in      the experimental   workshops   at   Cowley   in   1943.   After   the   war a   new   small   car   was   needed   and   the   task   was   given   to   the talented     designer     Alec     Issigonis      by     The     Nuffield Organization.   Issigonis   did   away   with   the   running   boards and   wings   and   replaced   them   with   a   modern   unitary   body shell,    independent    suspension    and    small    wheels    that enhancing   its   proportions   generally.   It   was   launched   at   the 1948   London   Motor   Show   with   a   917cc   side-valve   engine and could just about manage 60 mph. In   1952   the   famous   'A'   series   engine   was   introduced,   apart   from   this   little   else   was   changed   resulting   in owners   quickly   discovering   it   was   a   delight   to   drive.   In   1961   the   millionth   Morris   Minor   was   completed, becoming   the   first   British   car   ever   to   achieve   this   production   figure.   In   October   1962   a   1098cc   engine was   installed   this   more   than   enabled   the   Minor   to   keep   its   place   in   the   small/medium   car   performance tables.   The   Morris   Minor   proved   to   be   a   firm   favorite   with   both   fleet   managers   and   families.   It   was economical to run, comfortable and easy to drive, making it a favorite with both old and young.                     

Tony Hogg gave the vote of thanks

go to top of page go to top of page