The Men’s Probus Club of Skegness founded 1974
Speakers September to December 2018 12th September The speaker listed could not attend so was replaced by Chris Foster and Trevor Monahan

“The Village: Church Farm Museum”

The   Village   (Church   Farm)   is   Lincolnshire’s   only   open   air museum   located   a   short   distance   from   the   centre   of   Skegness.   It soon spirits you away to a quieter, more tranquil, age. The   original   1720s   farmhouse   started   off   as   Holly   House farm   (a   tenancy   farm   owned   by   the   Earl   of   Scarborough).      The original   house   was   a   small   ‘two   up   two   down’   cottage.      It   was arable   farming   with   a   few   livestock   which   gave   a   good   lifestyle   to   people   at   the   time.      The   Earl   of Scarborough   became   concerned   about   flooding   so   the   tenants   not   only   had   to   farm   but   had   to   dig drainage   dykes   and   maintain   them   as   well   as   paying   a   tithe   to   the   local   church.   In   the   1700s   they   could not   keep   the   livestock   through   the   winter   as   they   could   not   store   winter   food   for   them   so   it   was slaughtered and sold off or traded for goods. It   is   now   a   museum   with   no   public   funds   towards   its   upkeep   so   all   monies   have   to   be   raised primarily from donations and grants. The   museum   is   trying   to   diversify   by   introducing   beehives   and   a   large   display   of   agricultural machines to attract more visitors especially young people, schools etc.                                                                            Tom Hedges gave a vote of thanks SPECIAL CELEBRATION John    Gill,    a    long    standing    member    of    Skegness    Men’s    Probus, celebrated    his    100th   birthday     on    17th   September     and    Probus members   agreed   that   this   could   not   pass   without   being   acknowledged. After   making   arrangements   with   his   family,   a   group   of   Probus   members visited   him   and   he   was   presented   with   a   cake   to   mark   the   occasion   by   our current President, Tom Hedges. John   grew   up   in   Leeds    and   at the    outbreak    of    war    he    joined the    airforce.    After    being    shot down   over   the   desert   he   spent   3 years   as   a   POW.      After   the   war   he   returned   to   Leeds   but wanted   a   quieter   life   so   in   1947   he   settled   in   Skegness.      He became   a   teacher   and   some   of   our   current   members   can recall being his pupils.  He   became   a   much   respected   member   of   the   community.   He   took   great delight   in   showing   us   his   cards   from   the   Queen   and   all   the   other   local groups he is associated with. 26th September Eric Noel Farthing : War between Britain & France 1940-42 Twenty six members attended with eleven apologies given. The   speaker,   Eric   Noel   Farthing,   gave   a   detailed   insight   into   the   ‘war’   between Britain     and     France     1940     to     1942.Noel     had obviously   done   much   research   into   this   period hence   several   questions   from   members   at   the end of his talk. The President, Tom Hedges, gave a vote of thanks 10th October Chas Tibble: The RNLI Skegness Lifeboat Chas   commenced   by   thanking   the   members   for   the   donation   of   £50.00, then went on to give a brief resume of his career.  A   powerpoint   presentation   was   given      chronicling   the   beginnings   of   the   lifeboat service   in   Skegness   starting   in   1825   at   Gibraltar Point.    In    1831    the    lifeboat    was    relocated    to Lifeboat Avenue   and   shortly   after   moved   to   South Parade   in   Skegness.      It   relocated   once   more   In 1990   to   the   Tower   Esplanade   to   be   closer   to   the beach. It   was   then   decided   that   the   cover   of   the   Lincolnshire   area   would   be greatly    improved    by    a    Mersey-Class    all-weather    lifeboat.    The    inshore lifeboat   was   also   placed   within   the   same   building   as   well   as   improved crew   and   equipment   facilities.      The   building   also   includes   a   souvenir   shop to help with fund-raising.                                                                            Tom Hedges gave a vote of thanks 24th October Notts & Lincolnshire Air Ambulance Faye began with a short video detailing a response to a 999 call. The   motto   of   the   air   ambulance   is    “Time   is   Everything” .   They   operate   7   days   a week   365   days   a   year.   They   have   been   serving   the   community   since   1994,   starting as   the   Lincolnshire   Air   Ambulance   then   in   1997   joined   with   Nottinghamshire   to create the service as we know it today. I n    1994    the    service    was    basic    and    mainly    run    by volunteers   and   funded   by   charity   donations   as   is   the   case today.   Based   at   RAF   Waddington   the   latest   helicopter   is much   more   efficient,   can   carry   much   more   weight   and   is faster   with   a   speed   of   200mph.   The   priority   is   to   get   a team   of   doctors   and   paramedics   as   quickly   as   possible   to the    patient.    The    injuries    are    assessed    for    a    suitable hospital   in   the   region,   i.e.   Nottingham   Queens   Medical, Lincoln or Hull being the main trauma hospitals. The   helicopter   was   manufactured   in   Italy   and   goes   back   to   Italy   for   its   service   and   maintenance. As   the helicopter is on a 10 year lease a back-up helicopter is provided whilst this is carried out. The   cost   to   run   the   service   at   the   moment   is   £2.4   million   a   year    and   fund   raising   can   only   take   place   in the   Nottinghamshire   and   Lincolnshire   areas   as   other   counties   have   to   arrange   their   own   funds   for   a similar service.  On average there are 3 callouts per day covering 3,500sq. miles per year .                                                                            Tom Hedges gave a vote of thanks November 28th Stephen Gay ; Railways in the Cornish Landscape The   members   were      given   an   illustrated   slide   show   starting   at   Saltash   on   the Plymouth/Devon    border    showing        trains    passing    over    the    river    via    the   Tamar Viaduct. The   train   ran   from Tamar   to   Gunnerslake   station   which   was   the   end   of   the line.   From   there   you   catch   an   old   1957   double   decker   bus   from   Gunnerslake   to Oakhampton   to   connect   to   the   rail   network.      There   were   slides   showing   the   old Bude   canal   built   in   1823   with   a   narrow   gauge   railway   that   ran   alongside   (the railway   was   called   the   Old   Bude   Sand   Railway   that   brought   sand   up   from   the coast   and   was   drawn   by   horses);   the   London   Paddington   line   running   over   the   old Tamar   river   built   by   Brunel   in   1859   slides   were   showing   the   A38 road   bridge   built   in   1961   and   the   railway   bridges   together.   There are    53    railway    viaducts    in    Cornwall    and    they    were    all    built originally   using   timber   but   as   the   trains   got   heavier   they   had   to replace   the   wooden   structures   with   stone.   St   Germans   Viaduct carries   the   line   from   Plymouth   to   Penzance   spanning   the   river Tiddy.    At    St    Germans    station    there    was    an    old    Post    Office carriage   that   had   been   restored   and   fitted   out   as   a   bed   and breakfast to accommodate 6 persons                                                                            Tom Hedges gave a vote of thanks December 5th Reverend Richard Holden: Christmas Richard Holden gave a members an insight into his personal experiences of Christmas. Tom Hedges gave a vote of thanks
top of page top of page top of page top of page top of page top of page